Dirty Burg 50k CR

Dirty Burg 50k CR
Dirty Burg 50k

Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Crunch Time Training

   Well I just wanted to give a little update on the training and general mindset. Originally I was signed up to run the Indiana Trail 50 mile but I found out recently that is the same weekend as Tarryn's graduation walk at school. So, instead I'm signed up for Mad City 100k which is also the USATF 100k road national championship. I'm pretty excited to get in a road ultra and see what I can do on fast terrain. Given that my last two races were winter races I'm not sure of my overall speed. I won both races and felt good during both races. Overall I feel my fitness level is decent considering the relatively low mileage that I've been able to put in so far this winter. Mad City is on April 12th,  enough time to get some quality but I'd be happier if I had another month to train.
   I've been working 50 hour weeks, which happens to be a manual labor factory job. I do believe that being on my feet 12 hours a day and getting in "strength training" while doing so is benefiting me. I've ran my best races on lower, high intensity mileage, while working manual labor jobs. The plan is to get in marathon specific speed work during the week and solid long runs on the weekends. I'll use the next two weeks for an example, the key workouts:
-Tue(yesterday) 8 miles 3mi warm up 5 mile progression run starting with 6:10 down to 5:38
-Thur 10 miles 3mi warm up 1/2mi at 5:30 pace, 1/2mi at 6:40 pace x 6, cool down
-Sun 20 miles at 6:20 pace, apx. 12mi at 6:30 pace, 8 miles around 6:10-15 pace
Next week
-Tue 9 miles 3 miles at 5:50 pace, 1mi easy, 3 miles 5:50 pace
-Thur 8 miles 3 x 1mi at 5:30 pace
-Sat 14 miles easy
-Sun 31 miles (I turn 31 on the 26th so its a good B-Day run)
I believe that these are the best style of workouts I can get in with my work and family obligations. I have about two months (so not setting a time goal yet) and a taper so I need to make the most of it. I feel strong and confident about my training and running in general at the moment. I'm grateful for my sponsors UltrAspire and Wolfhound Racing, check them out on Facebook! They have both been very supportive and great people to be involved with. I'm also very grateful for Tarryn and Dylan(mostly Tarryn) for putting up with my 4:30am-3pm work days and strange passion for running that I have :) Thanks for reading, and hit me up on Facebook, I'll chat about anything running related!

No comments:

Post a Comment